Thursday, January 03, 2008

The difference between....

a resolution and a to do list?

So I've been thinking of my NY resolutions and figure all I've come up with really is a "to do" list really! So what is a resolution? Wait a minute whilst I look up the formal definition.....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
res·o·lu·tion [rez-uh-loo-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1.a formal expression of opinion or intention made, usually after voting, by a formal organization, a legislature, a club, or other group. Compare concurrent resolution, joint resolution.
2.a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something.
3.the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.
4.the mental state or quality of being resolved or resolute; firmness of purpose.
5.the act or process of resolving or separating into constituent or elementary parts.
6.the resulting state.
7.Optics. the act, process, or capability of distinguishing between two separate but adjacent objects or sources of light or between two nearly equal wavelengths. Compare resolving power.
8.a solution, accommodation, or settling of a problem, controversy, etc.
9.Music.
a.the progression of a voice part or of the harmony as a whole from a dissonance to a consonance.
b.the tone or chord to which a dissonance is resolved.
10.reduction to a simpler form; conversion.
11.Medicine/Medical. the reduction or disappearance of a swelling or inflammation without suppuration.
12.the degree of sharpness of a computer-generated image as measured by the number of dots per linear inch in a hard-copy printout or the number of pixels across and down on a display screen.

[Origin: 1350–1400; ME resolūtiōn- (s. of resolūtiō), equiv. to resolūt(us) resolute + -iōn- -ion]

4. resolve, determination, perseverance, tenacity; strength, fortitude.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK so I did cut and paste that! So essentially a resolution is like a "to do" but one which seems to have firmer resolve around it's intent - I mean I could say a new years resolution is to (a) tidy the garage and (b) keep it that way. But does that mean I really really intend to do it or would I just like to do it (believe me it's the latter - whenever my garage gets tidy it seems an excuse to make it untidy again!)

So let's make some proper resolutions in the following categories - Family and Friends, Health and Fitness, Home. Not too many in each category as I want them to be doable and they are resolutions for change/ improvement not to do's just to get done... Also I'm going to add the how I'm going to achieve them

I hereby resolve that;
Family and Friends:
1. Ensure my Nephew's know who "Auntie Karen" is and be not only a loving auntie but a FUN one too! :o) I'm going to do this by making sure I see them at least once a month (as my brother and sister-in-law read this now I've got to stick to it), try and get to at least one of my older nephews school do's, possible even baby-sit ...but as bro and sis are reading let's not take this last one one too literally, esp on a saturday night ;o)

2. To ensure I get quality time with both of my parents! As a child of divorced and remarried (to each other 20 years later!) parents it's important to me to continue to have the relationship I have with both parents as individuals. I'm going to do this by taking my Mum on her quarterly shopping trips (yes Mum I know you read this too so now I have NO excuse for not shopping with you at least once every 3 months!), and having a nice meal out with Dad when my Mum goes away to her friends house for the weekend... failing that I'll meet Dad after work at his golf club the odd wednesday evening!


3. The good OLD friends who I'm close to but who are not local I resolve to speak to them more regularly and see them at least once a year!!! The great people I've met in the last year I resolve to strengthen that friendship! Keep social with current mates!


Health and Fitness
1. Healthy eating! Establish a "one bad food meal" of the week, no more. And NOT to eat too late at night!

2. Ironman 70.3 UK - need I say more... do this by entering (done. twice. by mistake. opps long story), and train like a demon!

3. Listen to my tired body more. If I'm feeling pooped from work and/ or training accept it and don't train. Health is important, overtraining will not lead to a healthy Karen!


Home
1. Keep the place tidier!... Get a cleaner!

2. Make my home less of a carbon cruncher! Recycle as much as I can, double glaze the windows and possible look at cavity wall insulation.


I'm purposefully not adding a work/ career resolution - maybe that will come later in the year?! Maybe I should think of something "new" to try or learn too but I'm not quite sure what!!

OK and finally.... I've got back to training yesterday! Hurrah! Managed a steady run of 7k in 41mins (5:56 per km). Honestly I felt pretty awful throughout but I think that was largely down to the wine and stilton I'd eaten the night before with my neighbours rather then the after-effects of the tummy bug!!

This morning I had a really good swim session; 2k (longest swim in a long while) in an hour consisting of a 400m W-Up. 400m 4*(4*25) Drill sets: Main set and warm-down. Felt good. Everything untimed as it was really all about form.

Have also done a strength session this evening. So feel ok, despite that lurgy thing....

Talking of which - the lurgy I had seems to have actually made it on to the beeb website!!! Take a look at this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7169347.stm

Talk about nasty looking bug! With all that colour it's no wonder I was barfing up ;o)


6 comments:

  1. Great resolutions. I think its so important to spend time with people who matter.

    Btw. I had a friend from Scotland come down for New year's eve. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blech! That's one puking virus :-) Good luck with your resolutions! Here's to a great 2008!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. eeh-beahh....the baby-sitting thing has been noted....;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fantastic set of resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you the best at achieving everything you hope to achieve this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:01 am

    Doris your resolutions are so....resolute! Why are resolutions always about being good...this year I resolve to be bad hehe!!

    ReplyDelete