Sunday, March 22, 2009

I believe

The difference a weekend can make.

This time last week I wasn't sure I could do London - I thought "what was I thinking, thinking I could do a marathon"

Today I sit here and think... "it's going to be tough. It's going to hurt. I believe I could do it. I hope I can do it!"

Thanks again peeps for the support and advice I've got from you.

Yesterday I was supposed to do a 17-18mile long run. Kind of got the route a little wrong and I did the magical 20miles instead (like OOPS!). Ok so I didn't run it all, and I had about a 15min pit-stop for water replen on the 12.5mile mark. Yes I had some sulky moments. And yes it was emotional (in terms of walking really does kill your legs after 16miles), so yes it hurt and yes I did nearly call a taxi for one to get me home! But I didn't... and I did "run" (losely speaking, it was more of a sulky shuffle) the last mile.

I remembered mind over matter.

I finished. Ate plenty of pasta and rested up ... before... today... I headed for the Bike Sportive that training partner Leanne and I had entered a month or so ago. Some 47.5miles of that later we finished, and yes I am amazed I managed to go that far with relative "ease" and yes I am tired. But something has happened. I have belief again.

I read my race report from last years UK 70.3. I remembered the pain and joy of that event... I now believe I could do the Marathon, I may just be able to pull it off (along with thousands and thousands of others!! LOL)... and I hope I do just that.

6 comments:

  1. That belief and all that training will get you to the end! Glad you had a good run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you can do the marathon. I'm glad you know now too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The training for a marathon is so important - as much for the mental confidence as the physical conditioning. It sounds like you got both out of that run. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Wes! I'm glad YOU know now too! Go get em! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great jo - the mental battle is half of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 20 miler in the bank = you can do it!

    ReplyDelete