Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Getting back to it!


Well well well...yes I'm here again and so soon too!

Having had a nasty bout of the lurgy over the Christmas period, which is doing the rounds, I find myself at the beginning of year with big plans and next to no fitness! But I'm quite cool about it... After all sometimes you need to get unfit to get fit if you see what I mean and the rest has done me good.

Physically I may be a lard arse but mentally I'm excited about the year ahead and the challenges which await!

So with a fresh and frosty day on Sunday I grabbed the moment and headed out on my bike for the first ride in an age! It was a beautiful day although the roads remained on the brink of treachery with the odd patch of ice, slush (from burst pipes) or pot holes to keep me on the edge of my seat (well that and the fact my seat was not quite on at the right angle!!... Ha ha)... still I thought I'd go for 2 hour ride.... Ahem whilst aerobically I felt fine my legs were a little surprised to say the least! .... But it was a lovely day and felt good just getting out there.

I celebrated my bikey feat by putting in my application for entry into the long course european and world championships!! Ha ha ha... Ummmm a lot of training and stashing of fitness required then!!

Having now 'started' back then I thought this week I'll look to re-establish some form of order and routine. So yesterday morning headed to the pool for what would have been during last season, a recovery swim. The pool was pretty empty when I got in, I had no plan and no swim watch. The freedom this afford was about spot on, I consumed my allotted 30mins of no pressure swim with 10mins of warm up mixing up crawl and breaststroke, followed by 10mins of drills (mainly single arm, my left still being pathetic!), some sprints and then a mixed stroke warm down. Back in the pool in week 1 = done!

Today (Tuesday) would have been (last season) a long swim day but (a) as 30mins constitutes a long swim at the moment and (b) I have a half marathon in less then 9 weeks and have done NO running of late I thought a little trot was in order. Hummmm... Not terribly impressed with myself that I got overtaken my a man with a rucksack, ha ha ha ha... Although yes I was fiddling with my iPod at the time... And yes he didn't drop me (also figured out that even with the rucksack he weighed less then me ... Ha ha ha) still... He spurred me on a bit as I tracked him up the road, interesting tat he like me didn't like staying on the undulating path (due to drive ways) but at every opportunity ran in lane. Anyway, was with him for about a mile before I took a left up the hill or nearly doom... Which was challenging but entertaining! Ran back feeling like it was good to be out, can't wait for the mornings to get lighter and appreciate the rising sun as well as the first light of dawn!

The trick now is to get into routine without getting carried away - must remember it's been over 3 months since the ironman and I am in no position to do a 'normal' volume of training in my week!

And yes... I have every intention to make the blogging a little more consistent along with the training helps keep me on the straight and narrow (well kind of)

Happy 2011.... It has begun! Whoop!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. you got back in the pool already? oh my..

    ReplyDelete
  2. getting into a routine is always tricky, especially in winter.

    ReplyDelete